Opera at Alabama Is Exciting
Our training program includes opera as well as musical theater styles ranging from the Baroque to the 21st century. We perform Verdi and Sondheim, Monteverdi and Cole Porter, Mozart and Bernstein, side by side because we believe versatility leads to marketability. We study the art of the singer-actor, applying skills to the rehearsal process to bring music and theater to life on the stage. We offer students the tools needed to have a career in the business today and the chance to find who they are as performers. Join us in the pursuit of excellence in our craft, and start your career at the University of Alabama!
Opera at Alabama Is Comprehensive
The UA Opera Theatre is an opera and musical theatre training program encompassing
- Workshop classes appropriate to all experience levels
- Individual attention and personalized career guidance
- Directing experience for graduate students and upperclassmen
- Aria/song audition class
- Improvisation (improvised operas on Dr. Seuss books, among other things),
- Dance, including period dances, and movement classes
- Stage combat classes
- Stage makeup classes
- Music business classes (resumes, headshots, websites, promotion and marketing)
- Technical theatre experience
- Scenes, one-acts, and full productions with piano and orchestra
- Visiting artists and instructors including managers, agents, conductors
For information about studying opera toward a bachelor of music (BM) degree, visit the undergraduate catalog.
To find out more about graduate programs (master’s and doctoral) in opera, see the UA graduate catalog.